Monday, August 27, 2012

Quote of the week - Socrates on the wisdom of men

I am called wise, for my hearers always imagine that I myself possess wisdom which I find wanting in others: but the truth is, O men of Athens, that God only is wise; and in this oracle he means to say that the wisdom of men is little or nothing... as if he said, He, O men, is the wisest, who like Socrates, knows that his wisdom is in truth worth nothing. And so I go on my way, obedient to the god, and make inquisition into anyone, whether citizen or stranger, who appears to be wise; and if he is not wise, then in vindication of the oracle I show him that he is not wise; and this occupation quite absorbs me, and I have no time to give either to any public matter of interest or to any concern of my own, but I am in utter poverty by reason of my devotion to the god.

-Socrates
Plato, Apology, 23a-c, 

2 comments:

  1. I read about Socrates' encounter with the oracle sometime ago. I found it quite amusing that he came to realize that he truly was the wisest man in Athens, because he was the only man who realized he knew nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I love that Socrates had that thinking. His ignorance was his wisdom, haha. It's very interesting and reminds me of a proverb I heard often when I was younger that "the quietest man is the wisest man."

    ReplyDelete

Reformed Seth appreciates and encourages your comments, but we do have guidelines for posting comments:

1. Avoid profanities or foul language unless it is contained in a necessary quote.

2. Stay on topic.

3. Disagree, but avoid ad hominem attacks.

4. Threats are treated seriously and reported to law enforcement.

5. Spam and advertising are not permitted in the comments area.

Thanks!